Effective date: May 22, 2018
Updated: March 8, 2021
Evidence Based Birth (“us”, “we”, or “our”) operates the websites (collectively, the “Service”):
The privacy concerns of our customers and visitors are important to us. We are dedicated to handling your privacy concerns with the amount of care and respect that you would expect. This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
- Personal Data: Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
- Usage Data: Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Cookies: Cookies are small pieces of data stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
- Data Processors (or Service Providers): Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. We may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
- Data Subject (or User): Data Subject is any living individual who is using our Service and is the subject of Personal Data.
Information Collection and Use, including Types of Data Collected:
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you, depending on which service you are using.
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City, Country
- Whether you are a parent, student, or professional in the health care system
Additional personally identifiable information may also be collected if you use the following services:
- At https://parents.evidencebasedbirth.com/ (our platform for parents taking the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class or Evidence Based Birth® Savvy Prenatal Visits), we collect survey and quiz data to evaluate our educational programs for quality control and/or research purposes. You will always have the opportunity to opt out of research data collection, or out of survey and quiz data collection. The use of such information will always be with your permission. We will never sell or disclose your personally identifiable information to a third party without your permission. For some of the surveys (labeled “assessments” in your classroom dashboard), your survey answers will be emailed to your class Instructor as a password-protected PDF. Each assessment has a check box that you will fill out to acknowledge that you understand that that your survey responses will be emailed to your Evidence Based Birth® Instructor, to the email address for the Instructor that you have provided. Your Instructor will use the assessment responses to customize the class sessions to your needs, and to revise their teaching methods for future students. You have the opportunity to opt out of completing any survey, quiz, or assessment. Evidence Based Birth® Instructors teaching the EBB Childbirth Class are instructed not to record any videochat or Zoom sessions unless they have your written permission.
- At https://highered.evidencebasedbirth.com/ , we collect survey and quiz data to evaluate our Higher Education program for quality control and to issue certificates of completion after you complete our courses. You will always have the opportunity to opt out of survey and quiz data collection. However, your academic institution may require you to take some quizzes in order to earn certificates for your academic course with them. We may also share some information with your academic instructor upon their request. For example, academic instructors from a university or college may ask for confirmation of which students have created user IDs for the Higher Ed site, in order to assess the usefulness and acceptability of the Higher Ed program for their students. In this case, we may give them a list of their students who have created user IDs and logged in to the Higher Ed site. In addition, we may provide your academic instructor with additional information upon their request, including your quiz scores, amount of time you’ve spent watching courses, dates and number of login attempts, and which courses you have completed.
- At https:// evidencebasedbirthacademy.com/, where we house the Evidence Based Birth® Professional Membership and Instructor programs, we collect survey and quiz data to evaluate our program for quality control and to issue continuing education certificates after you complete our courses. You will always have the opportunity to opt out of survey and quiz data collection. However, if you want to earn a continuing education certificate, you must complete and pass a quiz, and those quiz results will be collected by our program. If you are a nurse, or a licensed or certified midwife, and you want to earn a continuing education certificate from the https://evidencebasedbirthacademy.com site, you must provide us with your nursing license # (if applicable), your midwifery certification or license # (if applicable). This data collection is required by our accrediting bodies—the Kentucky Board of Nursing and the American College of Nurse Midwives—and these records must be kept by Evidence Based Birth for 5 years or longer.
- At https://evidence-based-birth.myshopify.com we host a shop for physical and digital products. This shop is hosted on Shopify Inc. Shopify provides us with the online e-commerce platform that allows us to sell some of our products. To read the privacy statement specific to our Shopify shop, visit: https://evidence-based-birth.myshopify.com/pages/privacy-policy
We may use your Personal Data to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send, or by contacting us.
To the extent online chats and comments are enabled in any of our Services, Evidence Based Birth® considers these private and we agree to maintain the privacy of all communications therein and to not copy, photograph, screenshot, or disseminate the comments of users of our platforms without your written permission.
We may also collect information how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data
Tracking Cookies Data:
Cookies are files with small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Service.
- Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies. We use Security Cookies for security purposes.
Use of Data:
Evidence Based Birth uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service
- To notify you about changes to our Service
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so
- To provide customer support
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service
- To monitor the usage of our Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data Under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR):
Evidence Based Birth may process your Personal Data because:
- We need to perform a contract with you
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it’s not overridden by your rights
- For payment processing purposes
- To comply with the law
Retention of Data:
Evidence Based Birth will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Transfer of Data:
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to United States and process it there.
If our company is acquired or merged with another company, your information may be transferred to the new owners so that we may continue to provide Services to you.
Disclosure of Data:
Disclosure for Law Enforcement- Under certain circumstances, Evidence Based Birth may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Legal Requirements- Evidence Based Birth may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Evidence Based Birth
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Security of Data:
The security of your data is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
“Do Not Track” Signals:
We do not support Do Not Track (“DNT”). Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked.
You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser.
Your Data Protection Rights Under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR):
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. Evidence Based Birth aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete, or limit the use of your Personal Data.
If you wish to be informed what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us using the contact info at the bottom of this policy.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or to delete the information we have on you. Please contact us to assist you in accessing, updating, or deleting your information.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where Evidence Based Birth relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
Your Data Protection Rights Under the California Privacy Act:
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service (“Service Providers”) as sub-processors of our data, to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Service-related services or to assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform specific tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
These Service Providers include:
- Zendesk Inc for customer support
- Slack Technologies for internal communications
- Asana for management of tasks related to customer registrations or cancellations
- Eventbrite Inc for registering for live conferences and retreats
- Dropbox for file storage
- Google Drive for file storage and customer surveys
- Google Voice for providing phone/text support to customers
- Leadpages Inc for newsletter sign-up assistance
- ConvertKit for email newsletter delivery
- ProctorFree for proctored Instructor exams
- ShipStation for package shipping
- Sucuri for website security and firewall
- AirTable for customer relations management
- Zapier Inc for assistance with inter-platform communication
- SendOwl for emailing digital files to customers
- Jotform Inc for hosting applications and surveys
- SG Hosting, Inc for website hosting
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service, such as Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy Terms web page: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/
Evidence Based Birth does not use remarketing services to advertise on third party websites to you after you have visited our Service.
We may provide paid products and/or services within the Service. In that case, we use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
The payment processors we work with are:
Links to Other Sites:
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org (subect line: “Privacy request”)
- By mail: Evidence Based Birth, PO Box 910332, Lexington, KY 40951, USA