Phew! It’s been a busy year here at Evidence Based Birth®! I know we’ve been releasing a ton of content, and you might’ve missed an announcement or two. To help you out, I created this 2017 wrap-up post that features some of our new content!
In the first half of 2017, we released 21 new YouTube videos for the public. Topics in our videos ranged from Placenta Encapsulation, to Prenatal Vaginal Exams, to Infertility. A lot of our videos came out of our popular Natural Labor Induction series. And our most watched video was the Evidence on Membrane Sweeping!
We also updated and re-filmed our free videos on Vitamin K and Eye Ointment!
At the beginning of 2017, I made a commitment to update as many of our Signature Articles as possible! Anna Bertone, MPH, served as my research assistant and together we were able to meet this goal! Here are some of the articles we updated, along with a brief mention of a few of our most important findings:
- Eating and Drinking during Labor: Added info about a new 2017 meta-analysis, as well as new info about the rate of aspirations that occurred in the U.S. and U.K.
- Intravenous Fluids during Labor: Added info about a new 2017 meta-analysis, as well as a new randomized trial.
- Group B Strep: Added info about 7 new studies looking at the effects of antibiotics during labor for GBS on the newborn’s microbiome, as well as a lot of new info about rapid testing!
- Doulas: Created a new conceptual model image to help people understand why doulas are effective, and proposed a new definition of advocacy in the context of doula care
- Eye Ointment for Newborns: Added a whole bunch of information about the effects of eye ointment on “other” bacteria, such as staph or strep. Also added new info about the effects of using colostrum to reduce the risk of newborn pink eye.
- Failure to Progress: Added info about the first randomized trial on the length of the second stage
- Due Dates: Conducted a literature review but did not find any new info to add to the article (always good to know our articles are still keeping with the times!)
- Breech Version: Requested new statistics from the CDC to add to the beginning of the article, added info about the relationship between versions and pain/discomfort.
- Skin to Skin after a Cesarean: Added information from new meta-analyses and randomized trials! Called for all hospitals to immediately adopt this best practice.
Speaking around the U.S.
Rebecca was busy this year traveling to various locations to spread the evidence! Places she went included Cleveland, South Carolina, Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, and New Jersey! She also brought people from around the U.S. and Canada together at the first ever Evidence Based Birth® Be the Change Conference, held in Lexington, Kentucky.
In addition to Rebecca’s presentations, we also have a well-trained cohort of Evidence Based Birth® Instructors who taught classes all over the world this year! Right now they are teaching Savvy Birth workshops for parents, Savvy Birth Pro workshops for birth professionals, and CEU workshops on Due Dates, Newborn Procedures, and Home Birth Transfers. If you want to find an Instructor to see if they’re offering classes in your area, click here. You can learn more about becoming an Instructor here! We accept applications every February and August.
This year we held two rounds of free webinars for the public. The first webinar series was in the spring, and covered the hot topic of Waterbirth! The second webinar series took place in the fall, and covered Epidurals! Make sure you’re subscribed to our email list so that you don’t miss future webinars in 2018 and beyond!
We added a whole bunch of fun new products to our EBB online store:
Our professional members got two new continuing education classes this year, bringing their contact hours up to a total of 24 hours worth of classes at EBB! The new classes covered How to Overcome Hospital Bans (with a focus on overturning bans on eating during labor and waterbirth), and PROM, GBS, and Newborn Procedures. We also created a new PDF library and video library for our members, and added 12 new training sessions on topics like VBAC, Doulas Speaking Up, Cytotec, Gender Inclusive Language, Hospital Policies Demystified, Pushing Positions, and Protecting the Perineum.
EBB for University Students
We piloted a new program for university students this summer, and already have 3 programs signed up! Instructors assign their students classes inside EBB, and they bring proof of completion to class with them. 🙂 We hope to spend more time developing this program in 2018!
Email us at email@example.com to learn more about this initiative for universities and colleges.
Plans for 2018
Thanks for making it all the way to the bottom of this article! You might be curious what we will be focusing on in 2018! Well we have plans to update two Signature Articles- one on Birthing Positions, and one on Waterbirth. After that, we will focus on updating our Gestational Diabetes and Electronic Fetal Monitoring articles. Once everything’s been updated, we plan on writing a few new articles. I’m not 100% sure on the new topics yet, but one of them will definitely be Circumcision!
We will also be releasing a brand new EBB Podcast, and a video/Podcast series all about pain management during labor. I can’t wait to get these resources into your hands!
Finally, I am in the midst of writing a book all about childbirth for millennials. Stay tuned for more details on this important project!
There is no way I could have done this all by myself! This year was a period of intense growth for EBB. The only reason EBB was able to put out so much content was because of our passionate, dedicated team from across the globe. Thank you so much to Anna, Dan, Divine, Joseph, Katie, and Nicole, for being part of the EBB inner circle.
And finally, thank you to all of YOU. By supporting EBB, you’ve made it possible for me to hire all these people and take EBB to the next level.